Iceland – Hornstrandir
I’m looking for people to join me on a 6-day trek across Hornstrandir, in the Westfjords of Iceland. We will be departing Isafjordur on July 6th, 2020 via ferry, which will take us to Hrafnsfjörður. The ending point is Heysteri, on July 10th, 2020. The total distance is around 80-100 km.
All international flights take you to Kefalvik airport, which is outside of Reykjavik.
We would take the bus from Kefalvik to Reykjavik, which has a domestic Airport, where we would fly to Isafjordur, in the Westfjords.
We would camp in Isafjordur, buy food, prepare.
We arrive on July 2nd, rent a car, and drive up to Isafjordur, stopping at numerous locations along the way
Depart via Ferry to Hrafnsfjörður, hike to Bolungarvík.
Hike from Bolungarvík to the Lighthouse (Hornbjargsvitti, I believe it was called)
Hike from Hornbjargsvitti to Hofn
Hike from Hofn to Fljótsvatn
Hike from Fljótsvatn to Heysteri
Take the ferry back to Isafjordur
You would need to bring your own camping supplies.
1) Flight to Iceland – depends where you’re coming from
2) Flight from Reykjavik to Isafjordur – 50-100 EUR each way. I saw prices for 60 EUR.
3) Ferry to and from Hornstrandir – 200 EUR (round-trip).
3) Food – 100 EUR
4) Cooking Gas – 20 EUR
5) Camping in Isafjordur – 12 EUR / night
If we rent a car, plan on ~250 EUR / person, which would replace point #2 above (flight from Reykjavik to Isafjordur). Obviously, the costs go down as the number of people increases.
1) It may make sense to buy a solar charger which you wear on your backpack, that way you can at least charge your powerbank.
2) Jetboil cooker, so that you can cook in the wind.
3) anything else…?