Iceland – Hornstrandir
I’m looking for people to join me on a 6-day trek across Hornstrandir, in the Westfjords of Iceland. We will be departing Isafjordur on July 6th, 2020 via ferry, which will take us to Hrafnsfjörður. The ending point is Heysteri, on July 10th, 2020. The total distance is around 80-100 km.
We arrive late in the international airport, and camp in the nearby town.
July 2nd – July 5th:
We rent a car, and spend 4 days exploring the Snaefellsnes and Westfjords area. The exact route has not yet been planned. Price for the car, including fuel, is ~350 EUR if there are 3 of us, and ~250 EUR if there are 4 of us.
You can meet us in Isafjordur, if you are only interested in the hike.
Depart via Ferry to Hrafnsfjörður, hike to Bolungarvík.
Hike from Bolungarvík to the Lighthouse (Hornbjargsvitti, I believe it was called)
Hike from Hornbjargsvitti to Hofn
Hike from Hofn to Fljótsvatn
Hike from Fljótsvatn to Heysteri
Take the ferry back to Isafjordur
You would need to bring your own camping supplies.
1) Flight to Iceland – depends where you’re coming from
* 2) Flight from Reykjavik to Isafjordur – 50-100 EUR each way. I saw prices for 60 EUR.
3) Ferry to and from Hornstrandir – 200 EUR (round-trip).
3) Food – 100 EUR
4) Cooking Gas – 20 EUR
5) Camping anywhere outside of Hornstrandir – 12 EUR / night (although I think Hornbjargsvitti in Hornstrandir is a paid campsite, b/c they actually have flushing toilets and a shower).
* If we rent a car, plan on ~250 EUR / person, which would replace point #2 above (flight from Reykjavik to Isafjordur). Obviously, the costs go down as the number of people increases.
* If you are only interested in the hike, you would have to fly to Isafjordur from Reykjavik.