Dolpo Trekking Itinerary
UPPER & LOWER DOLPO PROGRAM.
Dolpo region is situated between the Tibetan plateau and the Dhaulagiri ranges. The entire district was closed to trekkers until 1989 when the southern part of Dolpo was opened to organized trekking groups. Our trekking adventure begins with tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu. We then fly to Nepalgunj and then to Juphal from where we begin our trek in the Dolpo region which was made famous by Peter Matthiessen’s book – The Snow Leopard. Nepal’s first English subtitled movie on Dolpo, The Caravan, was also a huge success and was also nominated for the Oscar Award in the best foreign language film category. On our 28-day trek we pass through interesting villages, trekking routes and meet fascinating people. We also cross a few high Himalayan passes and enjoy the vast and tranquil beauty of Phoksundo Lake. From Shey Gompa, we follow the ancient Trans Himalayan Trade route and return back to Jhuphal as our trek ends. The trek indeed takes us into the wild west of Nepal.
01. Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel Manang.
02. Flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj and overnight in Hotel
03. Flight from Nepalgunj to Juphal and starting the trek to Dunai and overnight tent.
04. Dunai to Kanigaon and overnight tent
05. Kanigaon to Kamot Karka (Nawarpani) and overnight tent.
06. Kamot Karka to DHo Tarap and overnight tent.
07. Full day to explore the Tarap valley and overnight tent.
08. Dho Taraè to Shering Gompa and overnight tent.
09. Shering Gompa crossing Numa La, trek to Jaglung and overnight tent.
10. Jaglung crossing Baga La, trek to Ringmo and overnight tent
UPPER DOLPO FROM HEAR.
11. From Ringmo to the northern part of the Pokhsumdo lake
12. Pokhsundo Lake trek to Snowfields and overnight tents (7-8 hrs)
13. Cross pass Ngadra La (kang La 5375 mt) and trek Shey, overnight tents (7-8 hrs)
14. Shey trek to Tata or Shyamling Gompa and overnight tents(7 hrs)
15. Tata (or Shyamling Gompa) trek to Shyamling Gompa and visit the Gompa, then trek on the way to Nengla and camp (7-8 hrs)
16. Cross the Nengla Pass (5368mt) and trek to Saldang and overnight tents (7 hrs)
17. Trek from Saldang to Yangtser Gompa visit of the monastery and overnight tent.
18. Yangtser Gompa visit and then cross Mushi La (5030 mt) and trek to Shimengaon, overnight in tent.
19. Shimengaon trek to Shimen La (4270mt) and Koma Pass (4460mt) trek to Namoocha or Chagaon, overnight in tent.
20. Namoocha (or Chagaon) trek to Jeng La Phedi, overnight tent.
21. Under Jeng La – Jeng La Banijang (5110mt) trek to Tokkhyu and overnight tent.
22. Tokkhyu trek to Dho Tarap and overnight tent.
23. Dho Tarap trek to Pang La trek to Yak Charkal and overnight tent.
OUT OF RESTICTE AREA
24. Yak Charka trek to Charka (4120mt) and overnight tent.
25. Charka trek to Kiriphuk and overnight tents (6/7 hrs)
26. Kiriphuk – Sangda La (5460 mt) trek to Sanda Phedi and overnight tents (7/8 hrs)
27. Sangda Phedi, Kok La and trek to Sangda overnight tents (7/8 hrs)
28. Sangda trek to Dagarjun and overnight tents (7/8 hrs)
29. Dagarjung trek to Jomosom and overnight Lodge or tents? (3 hrs)
30. Morning flight Jomsom/Pokhara and afternoon fly to KTM.
31. Bhaktapur, Patan, Pasupati sight seeing.
32. Soyambu, Buddha sight seeing & drop to International airport